Welcome to the 2014 BCLA Conference and the beautiful city of Vancouver, home of sea, mountains and amazing food and drink. We are so glad that you decided to join us for the engaging sessions and fun social activities.
This guide is designed to help you enjoy your time during and after the conference with suggestions for for breakfast, lunch, dinner or drinks, as well as activities to enjoy around the city. We hope the ideas are helpful for those visiting from out of town and locals who want to (re)discover new and old places.
This list focuses on spots close to the conference that are easily accessible by foot or transit, which are well-reviewed, local favourites. We have given you the address for each locale and marked it on a map, along with some room to write notes about memorable meals, great drinks and additional discoveries. Just go out and enjoy our great city!
1. Caffé Artigiano|1101 W Pender St & 740 W Hastings St
A Vancouver café chain that creates great caffeinated beverages and delicious pastries and options for breakfast or lunch.
2. Fujiya|112-1050 W Pender St
Freshly made sushi and bento boxes available for pick up from this popular Japanese grocery.
3. JJ Bean|353 Burrard St & 1188 Alberni St
A Vancouver coffee shop & roaster that takes coffee seriously. Also offers food and snacks.
4. Joyeaux Café & Restaurant|551 Howe St
A Vietnemese lunch spot that is a favourite for many downtown Vancouverites.
5. Revolver|325 Cambie St
Carefully crafted beverages make this cafe a destination for coffee lovers.
6. Moonpennies Coffee and Fine Foods|1102 W Pender
A café that offers great breakfast and lunch options only a block away from the conference!
7. Royal Centre|1055 W Georgia St
A centre with a food court, restaurants and other amenities close to the conference location. Tim Horton’s, the Salad Loop, Jugo Juice, and much more.
8. Meat & Bread|1033 W Pender & 370 Cambie St
Exactly as the name suggests, this lunch place offers delectable and lovingly made meat sandwiches and always a vegetarian option.
9. Giovane Café + Wine Bar|1038 Canada Place
Bakery, café and deli that turns into a wine bar at night.
10. Hubbub Sandwiches|859 Hornby St
Sandwiches made with various proteins and toppings selected for perfection and an option to make it into a gluten-free salad.
11. Finch’s Tea & Coffee House |353 W Pender St
Delicious soups, salads and sandwiches are the speciality of this destination café. Veggie friendly.
12. La Taqueria|322 W Hastings St & 2549 Cambie St
A much loved, well-reviewed, authentic taco shop with two locations for lunch and dinner.
13. Sanpachi Japanese Noodle & Bar|770 Bute St
Japanese noodles and soups that will knock your socks off and warm your belly!
14. Steamrollers|1195 Robson St & 586 Hornby
Tex-mex burritos that are healthfully cooked by steam, a filling and cheap lunch option.
15. Urban Fare|305 Bute St & 1133 Alberni St| A high-end grocery store to pick up snacks or find the many options offered in the café/deli for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
16. Vancouver Art Gallery Café|750 Hornby St
The self-serve café has freshly made entrées, salads, soups and incredible desserts that are all made in-house.
Vancouver’s food trucks offer innovative and delectable options all over downtown. The ever-changing and moving options include: Kebabs, tacos, perogies, seafood, Salvadorian, vegetarian, crepes, mac n’cheese, Australian pies, and BBQ.
Add the Street Food App to your smartphone or tablet and/or check it out online to see what’s open and where to find it: http://streetfoodapp.com/vancouver
1. Bao Bei Chinese Brasserie|163 Keefer St
Small plates with a modern approach to Chinese cuisine and a great cocktail list.
2. The Blackbird Public House and Oyster Bar|905 Dunsmuir St
Drinks, oysters and pub grub are found at this new addition to the scene.
3. Cactus Club|588 Burrard St & 1085 Canada Place
West coast cuisine and delicious drinks with two locations close to the conference.
4. The Flying Pig|102 Water St & 1168 Hamilton St
A cozy place for comfort food and well-selected wines and beer to match.
5. Hapa Izakaya|909 W Cordova St & 1479 Robson St
Experience the fun atmosphere and award-winning Japanese cuisine and drink at one of the locations of this eatery.
6. JOEYS|505 Burrard St & 820 Burrard St
Casual west coast dishes with a great wine and drink menu, very close to the conference hotel.
7. Nuba Gastown|207 W Hastings St
Lebanese cuisine for lunch and dinner that offers options for vegetarians, vegans and meat lovers.
8. Nicli Antica Pizzeria|62 E Cordova St
Authentic Neapolitan wood-fired pizza and accompaniments.
9. Rodney’s Oyster House|52 Powell St & 1228 Hamilton St
For seafood and a good time, head on over to Rodney’s!
10. Steamworks Brewing Company |375 Water St
Locally brewed beer on tap and a large menu of the usual pub suspects.
11. Sardine Can|26 Powell St
A tiny Spanish tapas bar that features simple small plates and wine.
12. Tableau Bar Bistro|1181 Melville St
Traditional French bistro food for lunch and dinner.
1. Alibi Room|157 Alexander St
50 taps of local and imported craft beer, boutique wines, cocktails and menu of local and sustainable entrées and snacks.
2. Chill Winston|3 Alexander St
Great cocktails, wines and beer and food if you’re hungry.
3. Diamond|6 Powell Street, 2nd Floor
Thoughtful and balanced drink options with snacks and small plate options.
4. Giovane Café + Winebar|1038 Canada Place
Winebar by night that morphs from its daytime bakery/café/deli identity.
5. Salt Tasting Room|45 Blood Alley Square
Wine, cheeses and charcuterie, paired with an interesting crop of condiments.
6. Vancouver Urban Winery|55 Dunlevy Ave
Exactly what the name suggests, a winery in the heart of Vancouver with a tasting bar that allows you to sample wines from across BC.
7. Revel Room | 238 Abbott St
A solid and hospitable establishment that offers drinks, snack and dinner.
1. Cardero’s|1583 Coal Harbour Quay
A beautiful setting on the water with a varied menu and emphasis on seafood.
2. Chambar|562 Beatty St
Moroccan and Belgian cuisine and an extensive drinks list.
3. Hawksworth|801 W Georgia St
Celebrated contemporary cuisine of chef, David Hawksworth. Try the tasting menu for a special meal.
4. Joe Fortes Seafood & Chophouse|777 Thurlow St
A swank place with an old-school vibe; think white linens and attentive waiters that make your Caesar salad at the table.
5. Lift|333 Menchions Mews
Gorgeous views of Stanley Park combined with food to match.
6. Oru|1038 Canada Place
In the glamorous Pacific Rim, the menu offers “food of the pacific northwest, flavours of the pacific room.”
7. Wildebeest|120 W Hastings St
For meat lovers who appreciate a local and sustainable snout-to-tail approach to cooking.
1. Bella Gelateria|1001 W Cordova St
It may not be warm yet, but the chill of these scrumptious flavours are worth it!
2. Thierry Chocolaterie Patisserie Café|1059 Alberni St
Chocolates, macarons, and pastries – oh my!
1. Gastown Shopping |between Hastings and Water from Richards to Main St
Carefully curated shops for both men and women and beautiful things for your home and life. Shops include: Dream, Old Faithful, One of a Few, Meadow Gifts and Apparel, Rowan Sky, Orling & Wu Home, just to name a few.
2. John Fluevog |65 Water St & 837 Granville St
The iconic Vancouver shoe designer, the flagship store on Water.
3. Pacific Centre |701 W Georgia St
Conveniently located between Dunsmuir and Georgia on Howe where you can find Hudson’s Bay, Sephora, Town Shoes, Nine West, H&M, etc.
4. Robson Street |Robson St
Shop and walk from Granville all the way to Davie and visit shops like Victoria’s Secret, J. Crew, Roots, Camper and more.
1. Lonsdale Quay|Carrie Cates Court
Hop on the Sea Bus from Waterfront Station for a short ride to visit the market and restaurants at the Quay and see Vancouver from the North Shore.
2. Stanley Park|
It’s not quite beach weather, but it’s always nice to explore the park and take in the views from the seawall and Lost Lagoon. Walk over from the hotel or take the bus (19 Stanley Park).
3. Vancouver Aquarium |845 Avison Way
Visit the adorable and majestic sea life at this world-renowned education, conservation and research centre found near the Georgia Street entrance to Stanley Park. Walk from the hotel or take the bus (19 Stanley Park).
4. Vancouver Art Gallery| 750 Hornby St
Experience the gorgeous VAG building and the see the exhibits of three amazing Canadian artists past and present: Lawren Harris, Myfawny MacLeod and Edward Burtynsky.
Travel a little farther by foot, transit, bike, or taxi to find some real gems!
1. Acorn| E 24th Ave
Arguably, the best vegetarian restaurant in the city. Get there early!
2. Beaucoup Bakery & Café| 2150 Fir St
The best croissants in the city and other excellent French pastries.
3. Fable Kitchen| 1944 W 4th Ave
Sustainable and local food in a friendly setting. An all-around great restaurant.
4. Forty Ninth Café (& Lucky’s Doughnuts)|2902 Main St & 2198 W 4th Ave
Locally roasted and respected coffee and freshly made doughnuts.
5. Granville Island
Come for the many food stalls of the public market, great restaurants (Edible Canada, Sandbar, Dockside, Bridges), and explore the parks. Take the 50 False Creek directly there or walk over to Yaletown and ride the Aquabus or False Creek Ferry.
6. Kitsilano Beach Park & Vanier Park| 1499 Arbutus St & 1000 Chestnut St
Walk or bus across the Burrard Bridge for beautiful views , walking paths and beaches!
7. La Quercia & L’Ufficio|3689 W 4th Ave
Exquisite family style Italian food in a small room and a wine bar with small plates.
8. Matchstick Coffee Roasters|639 E 15th Ave
Handcrafted preparation of single origin coffee. Another destination for coffee lovers.
9. Via Tevere Pizzeria| 1190 Victoria Dr
Neopolitan pizza that is worth the trek to the out of the way location.
8. 33 Acres Brewing Company & Brassneck Brewery|15 W 8th Ave & 2148 Main St
Two newly opened and already loved craft microbreweries.