Do you enjoy Readers’ Advisory (RA) or want to know more about it? The BCLA Readers’ Advisory Interest Group (RAIG) is a community of library professionals and students in BC who are passionate about RA. We work to promote key library services and skills to connect adult readers with traditional and non-traditional collections throughout the province. We develop and promote adult readers’ advisory service in BC by:
- Building readers’ advisory resource
- Developing and facilitating a community of library professionals and library students with an interest in readers’ advisor
- Promoting and advocating for readers and readers’ advisory
- Recognizing excellence in readers’ advisory services
- Organizing training such as the popular “RA In a Day” event
- Having a presence online and social media, i.e. #WhatAreYouReadingBC is our hashtag on Instagram
- Meeting quarterly to share system initiatives and ideas, as well as prepare any training material and supports
If you are interested, the group is currently seeking co-chairs and members!
With diminished membership and no co-chairs, the BCLA Readers Advisory Interest Group announced a hiatus in April 2019. The announcement served as a notification to the association, but also an invitation for those interested in bringing the group back to life.
Dedicated RAIG members Stephanie Hong and Alan Woo are still active behind the scenes on the group’s Instagram account. The rest is up to us.
RAIG started in 2012, including the What Are You Reading blog was active through 2017, and a column in Perspectives for a while, too. RAIG is an opportunity to partake in programming, blogging and social media—and of course, readers advisory.
Stephanie and Alan are happy to answer questions for anyone interested in taking over the group—contact them at if you would like to know more: [email protected] and [email protected].
In the meantime, check out this 2017 Perspectives article if you are looking for some RA inspiration or DIY professional development (https://bclaconnect.ca/perspectives/2017/09/07/raa/).