Constitution and Bylaws
- 1. Name
The name of the Section of the British Columbia Library Association is the Young Adult and Children’s Services Section (YAACS).
- 2. Purpose
To foster the development and enhancement of library services to children and young adults in British Columbia; to strengthen the position of library personnel working in library services to children and young adults in British Columbia.
- 3. Objectives
To promote the development of qualitative and quantitative standards of library service to children in British Columbia; To promote awareness of and interest in library services to children/young adults, and the role of children’s specialists within the library community; to encourage the professional growth of library personnel involved in children’s services:
- by organizing information sessions and continuing education/training programs;
- by establishing regular channels of communication within the community of children’s library personnel;
- by gathering for publication articles, information, and materials of relevance to children’s services.
The activities of the Young Adult and Children’s Services Section must be in accordance with the provisions of the Society Act, R.S.B.C. 1979, c.390, the Constitution and By-laws of the British Columbia Library Association, and the policies and procedures of the Association as established by the Board of Directors.
- 1. Membership
Membership in YAACS shall be open to any member in good standing of the British Columbia Library Association.
- 2. Section Officers
The officers of YAACS shall consist of the Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Secretary, YAACING Editor(s)/Publicity Coordinator(s), Past Chairperson, and Continuing Education Coordinator. Liaisons may also be appointed to facilitate communication with various related organizations. Active personal members in good standing of BCLA who are also members of YAACS may hold office.
- 3. Terms of Office
- 3.1 The Vice-Chairperson shall be elected and shall serve a three (3) year term: the first year after election as Vice-Chairperson, the second year as Chairperson, and the third year as Past Chairperson. The Secretary shall be elected; the YAACING Editor(s)/Publicity Coordinator(s); the Continuing Education Coordinator and the Liaisons shall be appointed by the incoming Section officers.
- 3.2 The term of office for all other section officers shall be one year.
- 3.3 The Section officers shall hold office until May 31st each year, or until their successors are elected or appointed, whichever is the later date.
- 3.4 A retiring member of the Section officers shall be eligible for re-election or re-appointment.
- 3.5 Any person ceasing to be a member in good standing of the Association shall also cease to be a Section officer.
- 3.6 A section office shall be declared vacant upon:
- written notice of resignation delivered to the Board of Directors;
- petition of removal to the Board of Directors from YAACS Section officers;
- the death of an officer
- 3.7 The Section Officers may fill vacancies by appointment, such appointees to act until the next Annual Section Meeting.
- 4. Election of Section Officers
- 4.1 There shall be a YAACS Nominating Committee, appointed by the Section, whose duties shall be:
- to prepare a slate of officers, to distribute it to the active YAACS members at least two (2) months before the Annual Section Meeting, and at the same time to call for further nominations. Each such further nomination shall be signed by three (3) active YAACS members, and be accompanied by written assent of the nominee. Each such further nomination must be in the hands of the Nominating Committee one (1) calendar month before the date of the Annual Section Meeting. Nominations will not be accepted from the floor. Each nominee shall be a YAACS member in good standing with the Association.
- if there is more than one nomination for an officer, to prepare a ballot which shall be sent to each active YAACS member at least three (3) weeks before the Annual Section Meeting.
- to take charge of the conduct of all elections and counting and tabulations of all votes cast. A tied vote shall be decided by the chairperson of the Nominating Committee.
- to report the results of the election to the YAACS membership at the Annual Section Meeting.
- 5. Duties of Section Officers
- 5.1 The Chairperson shall preside at all meetings of the Section at which she/he is present. The Chairperson, or designate, shall serve as a Director on the Association Board of Directors. The Chairperson shall serve as an ex-officio member of all YAACS committees.
- 5.2 The Vice-Chairperson shall assist the Chairperson in his/her duties and preside at the Section meeting in the absence of the Chairperson. S/he shall in the absence or disability of the Chairperson, perform the duties and exercise the power of the Chairperson. S/he shall be responsible to plan the YAACS events for the Spring Conference in cooperation with the BCLA Conference Planning Committee.
- 5.3 The Secretary shall be responsible for recording the minutes of all meetings of the Section, and for the safe custody of all such minutes. Minutes of meetings shall be circulated to the Section officers and the Association Board of Directors.
- 5.4 The YAACING Editor(s)/Publicity Coordinator(s) shall be responsible for submitting publicity materials and notices of YAACS events through the established channels of the Association. They will also be responsible for the publication of the YAACING newsletter at least three (3) times per year.
- 5.5 The Past Chairperson shall be the chairperson of the YAACS Nominating Committee.
- 5.6 The Lower Mainland Coordinator shall be responsible to plan the YAACS Workshops in cooperation with the BCLA Continuing Education Committee.
- 5.7 The Liaisons shall be responsible to facilitate communication between various related organizations and the YAACS Executive. They will be responsible for any YAACS displays at the Spring Conference Committee in cooperation with the BCLA Conference Planning Committee.
- 6. Meetings
- 6.1 Meetings of YAACS officers shall be held at least quarterly. Only YAACS officers may cast a vote at these meetings. A quorum shall consist of a majority of the Section officers.
- 6.2 An Annual Section Meeting shall be held, usually in conjunction with the Spring Conference of the Association. A quorum shall consist of 10% of the active YAACS members present, but never less than three (3) members. Notice of the time and place of the Annual Section Meeting shall be given by the Section officers to all YAACS members at least one (1) month prior to the meeting. Only active YAACS members in good standing shall be entitled to vote at an Annual Section Meeting.
- 7. Amendments
Amendments must be submitted to and receive approval of the Association Board of Directors.